C. William “Bill” Brooks was elected to Life Membership in the Outrigger Canoe Club at the Annual Meeting on February 27, 2012. Bill joined the Outrigger in 1946 and immediate became involved in the Club’s athletic program, devoting his energy into reviving the Club’s running team.
In the 1960s Bill coached and competed on the Outrigger’s running team, leading it to three consecutive national running championships. It was he who first initiated the mileage-logging program in the Men’s Locker Room, and for many years, personally maintained it.
As Chair of the now defunct Athletic Sponsors Committee, he arranged the Athletic Awards Banquet, an annual event held to honor the Club’s outstanding sportsmen. A firm believer that those who made contributions to the athletic program deserved special recognition, Brooks came up with the idea of honoring the athletes with more than a once-a year banquet. He took his idea to the Board of Directors who wholeheartedly supported it, and that ultimately emerged as a new standing committee. Named the Winged “O”, the name and its logo are attributed to Brooks who was inducted in 1983.
Over the years, Brooks was a member of and actively involved in many of the Club’s standing committees.
Admissions & Membership Committee
Athletic Sponsors Committee
Running & Hiking Committee
Winged “O” Committee