Recipient: Winning Club
Sponsor: Outrigger Canoe Club
First Awarded: July 4, 1972
Size: 14.25″ long, 3″ high one end, 9″ high other end
A new Perpetual Trophy to be awarded annually to the high point winner in the Walter J. Macfarlane Memorial Regatta Winner was presented to the Club as sponsor of the Regatta by Mrs. Walter (Muriel) Flanders at a small reception held in her honor on Sunday, July 2, 1972.
The Board of Directors of the OCC had earlier commissioned sculptor David Tompkins of Los Angeles and Club member Jerry Ober to design the trophy. Working from photographs supplied by OCC member Tommy Holmes, the designers produced a trophy of laminated koa wood shaped to form a huge wave on which a finely sculpted solid silver racing canoe is superimposed.
The name of the club winning each year’s regatta since the regatta’s inception in 1943 is engraved on a silver plaque attached to the trophy.